Anyone with any degree of organization skills will always draw up a detailed plan of action before moving – there’s just too much to do not to. The importance of preparing in advance is even more obvious with long distance moving projects. When it comes to moving between provinces in Canada, some factors come into play that don’t feature when moving between neighbourhoods in Toronto ON.
Of course for years, Viktoria Professional Movers Toronto has been taking care of long distance moves. Toronto to Halifax, Calgary or to Vancouver – are all long journeys, while moves south to cities in the US have equally imposing demands that have to be addressed.
But other than wrapping and packing, what issues that come with moving long distances in Canada? We’ve put together a brief list of tips that can help to get your moving strategy right.
- Redistribute The Hoard – We all like to hold onto things, usually because of the memories they evoke. That old cardigan that kept you warm in your college dorm a lifetime ago but you never wear now. Or your first set of golf clubs, which has lain in the closet for the past decade long usurped by a newer and luckier set. Do you really need these? Consider these 3 simple questions:
- Do I use it? – If you have not used it in the last 12 months, let it go.
- Do I need it? – See above, though there may be special circumstances worth considering.
- Will I wear it? – You’ll hardly need 2 or 3 heavy coats if you’re moving to a warmer climate.
Remember, long distance moves, from Toronto to anywhere else in Canada, are usually charged by weight more so than by hour, so shedding the load will save money. Give to charity. Have a yard sale. Even bring items to a recycling company.
- Get At Least 3 In-Home Estimates – It’s tempting to get an estimate from one moving company and go with it. But it’s wise to have options. It can happen, for example, that your chosen Toronto moving company has to pull out, leaving you stranded. Without adequate time for your replacement company to carry out an in-home estimate, they’ll ask you to fill out an inventory form, which means an inaccurate assessment, and most probably a nasty surprise at the weighing. Getting in-house estimates from several Toronto moving companies helps you avoid this nightmare.
- Home Inspections – Don’t forget to have your new home inspected for any issues. That last thing you need is to arrive at your new home only to find a raft of defects making moving in difficult. This needs to be done about 4 to 6 weeks in advance of the move, to give ample time for problems to be resolved. For more on home inspections, check out CanNACHI, CAHPI, or ASHI.
- Know Your Floor Plans – Properties are advertised in square footage, but that does not necessarily reflect the actual space because it doesn’t take into account built-in features. So, a large kitchen might take from the size of a living room, which ultimately means less space for furniture. Study the floor plans of your new home well in advance of you long distance moving date. That way, you can work out if there is any furniture that can’t fit and you should sell.
- Arrange Utilities Early – Okay, so you’ll still need your phone, electricity and water services until moving day, but with long distance moves from Toronto you need to give yourself plenty of time, and make sure the utilities are working a day or two before you arrive. The phone company might need 3 or 4 weeks to set up working phone lines, while other utilities will need a few weeks notice before swapping the service into your name. In all cases, you may need to pay a deposit before anything happens.
About the Viktoria Professional Movers Toronto
Viktoria Professional Movers Toronto is a professional moving and storage company operating out of Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary, providing high quality local and long distance moving services throughout the GTA, Southern Ontario and across Canada. Thanks to our country-wide network we are also able to service our clients’ long distance moving needs throughout Canada. By helping to educate our clients on topics that can help them plan and execute a successful move, we are fulfilling our directive of taking the stigma out of hiring professional movers, and helping to make the moving process a stress free experience overall. To hear first-hand about our high quality moving services, please visit Homestars page where you can read reviews on our company submitted by many of our satisfied customers.
Call Viktoria Professional Movers (647) 344-1554 or Toll Free: 1 ( 877) 399-1315 for a FREE Consultation in regards to your residential or office moving needs to and from the GTA and Metro Toronto area.