It’s no secret that moving homes in Toronto, ON or anywhere else in Canada requires some careful planning. It’s not just the logistical issues, like packing your belongings away, but often getting a budget right to make it all affordable. This is especially true when preparing to face long distance moving costs, which can become very high if you’re not careful.
Understandably, the cost of moving long distances either across Canada or into the US is going to fall outside the classification of a ‘local’ move. Your possessions are going to be in transit for several days – in some rare cases even weeks.
But the good news is that there are ways to ease the cost of long distance moving, from Toronto to anywhere else in North America. Here are our 6 tips to doing so.
Long Distance Moving Cost Cutting Tips
- Cut Your Toronto Movers’ Burden – There are associated charges that relate to extra work Toronto moving companies have to do, like setting up and operating hoists for heavy items or shuttling up and down an elevator. But bringing boxes to the ground floor yourself can reduce labour and, therefore, these charges drastically, though some heavy items should be left to professional Toronto movers.
- Lower The Weight – Long distance moving costs are based on weight and cubic feet rather than by hour. Logically then, lowering the weight of your consignment will save you money. So, sell unwanted furniture, give items away to charity and have a yard sale to clear what is not needed. And remember, whatever funds you raise can help cover the moving costs too!
- Timetable the Move Appropriately – An accurate timetable is essential. On long distance journeys, your consignment will have to be stored overnight, especially if truck-swaps are required. These should be detailed in the quote, but any extra days in a storage facility will be charged independently. So, be at the destination address on arrival day to avoid extra storage charges.
- Drive Your Car Or Sell It – If you don’t like driving long distances, you may be contemplating shipping your car on separately – but is this really necessary? When the move is very long distance – moving from Toronto to Vancouver, for example, or somewhere in the US – you can expect to pay thousands of dollars more. Save this cash by driving yourself, or selling the car and getting a new one in your new city.
- Speak To Your Coordinator – A reputable Toronto moving company will have a moving coordinator that works closely with you to ensure everything runs smoothly. Speak to the coordinator about what other things can be done to lower the overall costs. At Viktoria Professional Movers Toronto, our personnel are happy to do so.
- Check Out Available Tax Breaks – You can claim back as much as half your long distance moving costs when completing your tax returns. There are conditions, of course, not least that the purpose of the move is for work, to establish a business or to study at university. Among the expenses that can be claimed back on are travelling expenses (fuel, meals and accommodation), storage costs, and property-related legal fees. For more details, check out what the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has to say.
Long Distance Moving With Viktoria Movers Toronto
Viktoria Professional Movers Toronto is a professional moving and storage company operating out of Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary, providing high quality local and long distance moving services throughout the GTA, Southern Ontario and across Canada. Thanks to our country-wide network we are also able to service our clients’ long distance moving needs throughout Canada. By helping to educate our clients on topics that can help them plan and execute a successful move, we are fulfilling our directive of taking the stigma out of hiring professional movers, and helping to make the moving process a stress free experience overall. To hear first-hand about our high quality moving services, please visit Homestars page where you can read reviews on our company submitted by many of our satisfied customers.
Call Viktoria Professional Movers (647) 344-1554 or Toll Free: 1 ( 877) 399-1315 for a FREE Consultation in regards to your residential or office moving needs to and from the GTA and Metro Toronto area.