I’ve heard friends who are moving from Toronto to Halton lament that there will be nothing to do after the move. However even after 15 years as an Oakville resident, it still amazes me how much this region has to offer for the entire family. The Regional Municipality of Halton, also known as Halton Region, is located between Toronto and Niagara and includes 25 km frontage onto Lake Ontario. It might be easier to remember it as consisting of Burlington, Oakville, Milton and Halton Hills. If you’re considering a move to the area, especially from Toronto, and want to explore what the region has to offer, here are a list of places that you and your family can enjoy!
- Shop Downtown – So many unique shops in the area. Check out Bronte Village, Kerr Village, Downtown Oakville and Downtown Burlington. Shop, browse or stop in the local cafe for a hot cup of java or enjoy a meal at a range of exquisite restaurants along Lakeshore Road.
- Museums & History – Discover the rich history of the region: Erchless Estate, Sovereign House, Halton Region Museum, Oakville Museum, Halton County Radial Railway Museum, Ireland House, Joseph Brant Museum, Crawford Lake, and Paletta Mansion.
- Conservation Halton – There are 7 parks located in within this region:
- Crawford Lake Conservation
- Glen Eden Ski & Snowboard Centre
- Kelso Conservation
- Hilton Falls Conservation
- Mount Nemo Conservation
- Mountsberg Conservation
- Rattlesnake Point Conservation
These wonderful parks keep your family active and can be enjoyed all year round. They are great for walks, picnics, family BBQs, swimming, canoeing, climbing, skiing and snowboarding. My kids especially love the winter tubing at Kelso/Glen Eden.
- Royal Botanical Gardens – Selected as the national focal point for the Global strategy for the plant conservation. Apart from its beautiful gardens and trails, it is an educational experience with so much to explore and learn. Enjoy a cup of tea in one of the teahouses or dine at the cafe for a luncheon. Don’t miss the seasonal workshops, events and attractions the whole family will enjoy.
- FREE Festivals GALORE! – These festivals are hosted every year : Oakville has so many to list, The Waterfront Festival, Midnight Madness, The Oakville Ribfest and The Oakville Jazz Festival, Carousel of Nations Multicultural Festival. Burlington is famous for Canada’s Largest Ribfest, a Children’s Festival, Kite Festival, and its own Santa Claus parade, just to name a few.
- Farmers Markets – Shop local at many selected locations for a great gathering of Local Farmers produce, baked goods, preserves and lots more. Bonus: You get to feel good investing in local businesses!
- Family Fun Farms – Make a fun day for the kids with hay rides, picking your own fruits and veggies, petting zoo and holiday events. So many to choose from: Springridge farm, Hutchinson Farm, Chudleighs, Andrews Scenic, Wheelbarrow Farm, and Stonehaven Farm. Check to see which ones are open all year round.
- Golf Courses – With over 42 golf greens in Halton, you have quit the selection of courses to choose from. Some are even open in the winter too!
- Music, Theatre and Art– There’s a fabulous assortment of shows and performances at the Oakville Centre for the Performing Arts and Burlington Performing Art Centre. Never a shortage of local performances, there’s also Theatre Sheridan, The Drury Lane Theatre, Theatre Burlington and Burl-Oak Theatre Group. Explore Art Exhibits at the Oakville Galleries and the Burlington Art Centre and many several independent galleries thoughout.
- Parks & Recreational Centres – Located throughout the Halton area, providing children, youths, adults and seniors many activities and programs at affordable costs, running from 6 – 12 weeks at a time. Access to indoor Swimming, indoor and outdoor skating rinks, gyms, squash, and many more to list. Splash Pads offer so much fun for kids and are a perfect place to cool off in the summer. The Halton region has over 40 locations!
- Ok, it’s not not so much a place as a feature, but you may want to know that Halton has been ranked by Maclean’s national crime ranking report as being one of the Top 5 “safest place to live” in Canada!
We may be smaller than the GTA but we are large in offering a myriad of opportunities to explore. Now get out and enjoy the great Halton Region!
About the Company
Viktoria Professional Movers Toronto is a professional moving and storage company operating out of Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary, providing high quality local and long distance moving services throughout the GTA, Southern Ontario and across Canada. Thanks to our country-wide network we are also able to service our clients’ long distance moving needs throughout Canada. By helping to educate our clients on topics that can help them plan and execute a successful move, we are fulfilling our directive of taking the stigma out of hiring professional movers, and helping to make the moving process a stress free experience overall. To hear first-hand about our high quality moving services, please visit Homestars page where you can read reviews on our company submitted by many of our satisfied customers.
Call Viktoria Professional Movers (647) 344-1554 or Toll Free: 1 ( 877) 399-1315 for a FREE Consultation in regards to your residential or office moving needs to and from the GTA and Metro Toronto area.