The importance of preparing in advance is even more obvious when moving long distance to or from Toronto, ON or elsewhere in Canada. When it comes to moving between Canadian provinces, some factors come into play that don’t feature when moving between neighbourhoods within one city.
Other than packing your belongings, what issues may come with moving long distances in Canada? We’ve put together a brief list of tips that can help you get your long distance moving strategy right.
- Redistribute The Hoard – We all like to hold onto things, usually because of the memories they evoke. Your first set of golf clubs, which has lain in the closet for the past decade long usurped by a newer and luckier set. Do you really need it? Consider these 3 simple questions:
- Do I use it? – If you have not used it in the last 12 months, let it go.
- Do I need it? – See above, though there may be special circumstances worth considering.
- Will I wear it? – You’ll hardly need 2 or 3 heavy coats if you’re moving to a warmer climate.
Remember, long distance moves are usually charged by weight rather than by hour, so decreasing the load will save you money. Give to charity, have a yard sale, or even bring items a recycling company.
- Get At Least 3 In-Home Moving Estimates – It’s tempting to get an estimate from only one Toronto moving company and go with it, but it’s wise to have options. It can happen, for example, that your Toronto moving company has to pull out, leaving you stranded. Without adequate time for finding another moving company to carry out an in-home moving estimate, they’ll ask you to fill out an inventory form. That means an inaccurate assessment, and most likely an unpleasant surprise at the weighing. Getting in-house moving estimates from several Toronto moving companies helps you avoid this nightmare.
- Order Home Inspections – Don’t forget to have your new home inspected for any issues. That last thing you need is to arrive at your new home only to find a raft of defects making moving in difficult. This needs to be done about 4 to 6 weeks in advance of your move, to give enough time for issues to be resolved. For more on home inspections, check out CanNACHI, CAHPI, or ASHI.
- Know Your Floor Plans – Most properties are advertised in square footage, but that does not necessarily reflect the actual size as it doesn’t take into account some built-in features. For example, a large kitchen might take away from the size of a living room, which means less space for your furniture. Study the floor plans of your new home well in advance of you long distance moving date. That way, you can decide if there is any furniture that can’t fit and you should sell.
- Arrange Utilities Early – You’ll still need your phone, electricity and water services until your moving day, but with long distance moves in Canada you need to give yourself plenty of time, and make sure the utilities are working a day or two before you arrive. The phone company might need 3 or 4 weeks to set up working phone lines, while other utilities will need a few weeks notice before swapping the service into your name. In all cases, you may need to pay a deposit before anything happens.
About Viktoria Professional Movers Toronto
Viktoria Professional Movers Toronto is a professional moving and storage company operating out of Toronto, Barrie, Vancouver and Calgary, providing high quality local and long distance moving services throughout the GTA, Southern Ontario and across Canada. Thanks to our country-wide network we are also able to service our clients’ long distance moving needs throughout Canada. By helping to educate our clients on topics that can help them plan and execute a successful move, we are fulfilling our directive of taking the stigma out of hiring professional movers, and helping to make the moving process a stress free experience overall. To hear first-hand about our high quality moving services, please visit Homestars page where you can read reviews on our company submitted by many of our satisfied customers.
Call Viktoria Professional Movers Toronto (647) 344-1554 or Toll Free: 1 ( 877) 399-1315 for a FREE Consultation in regards to your residential or office moving needs to and from the GTA and Metro Toronto area.